Friday, February 10, 2006

Oh, MSN Messenger. You disappoint me.

Since I got a new phone, I figured I’d better change my MSN Messenger settings, to configure my mobile settings.

There are two things I needed to change: My Contact Card shows my cell phone number, so I had to change it in there. Plus, MSN Mobile had some settings I had to change, so that when I’m offline in Messenger, people can send me text messages.

Changing the MSN Mobile settings wasn’t too bad, although I had to try a couple of times to get it right. In the end, I had to do this:

  1. Tell Messenger to no longer allow people to send messages to my mobile device
  2. Go to MSN Mobile, and delete my account
  3. I may or may not have logged out of Messenger here... I can’t remember
  4. If I closed Messenger, I re-opened it. I went back to MSN Mobile, and created a mobile account
  5. I definitely logged out of Messenger at this point, and then logged back in
  6. It asked me if I wanted to allow people to send messages to my mobile device
  7. I said “yes”

  8. I had someone send me a test message, which worked
  9. The aforementioned someone was amazed when I replied from my phone, because she hadn’t realized that the messages are two-way
So that’s working, now. However, changing the phone number on my contact card hasn’t gone so well, yet. I haven’t been able to do it. I changed the setting in Messenger, and I’ve logged out, and had my friend log out, and no matter what we do, she still keeps seeing the old number.

Hopefully it will go away, eventually, and get updated with the new one I entered...

0 comments: