Friday, June 24, 2005

Email hilarity. Or lack thereof.

Got an email (via my wife) from a friend who's working over seas, and I decided to send her back a response email, to say hi. She's more of a friend of my wife's than of mine, but she's been over to visit a number of times, and we've been over there to visit a number of times, so I've got to know her a bit, and I like her. Her daughter is incredibly cute and intelligent for a 3 year old, so it's fun when we get to see her, too.

So, with these facts in mind, you'd think it would be a pretty short email, eh? "Hi, how've you been? I've been well. Write back soon!" Sign my name at the bottom of that (or just put my first initial, as seems to be the fashion these days), and we're done. Badda boom, badda bing.

Instead, I wasn't that busy this afternoon, and I sent a huge, rambling, useless email, that she'll have to waste numerous minutes reading. Heh.

Now, on the one hand, I have to be in a silly mood to write something like that, and I wouldn't normally bother, for someone I don't know that well. And probably wouldn't have, in this case, if I wasn't just pissing away time this afternoon.

But, on the other hand, it sort of makes a twisted practical joke, to send something like that, too. "Is he kidding about some of this stuff, or serious?" "Does he really write emails like this?" And (my favourite), "how does his wife put up with him if he is like this normally? Doesn't it drive her crazy?!?"

Ah, life.

0 comments: