Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Spiritual Life Convention

As mentioned, I went to the Spiritual Life Convention last night, and it went very well. It was a time of fervent prayer, on my part, because I was so nervous, which was answered, because we played/sang well, and I think the congregation enjoyed it. I made some mistakes on the guitar, of course, but I don’t think any of them were noticeable, and even if they were, they weren’t major, so I’m happy.

The speaker last night was good, too. I very much enjoyed his talk. The theme was “Being Like Jesus” or “Becoming Like Jesus” or something along those lines. (I really was paying attention! Honest! I just have a lousy memory.) They recorded the message, and were making copies of it on CD, and I had meant to get a copy, on my way out. Unfortunately, we went out the back door, instead of the front, because we were carrying our instruments out, and I forgot to run out and grab one. (If we’d gone out the front, I would have noticed the people giving out CDs, and remembered.)

The main point of his message was that Christians, when they’re trying to be more like Jesus, try to do it all by their own power, even though it’s an impossible task. There was one thing the speaker said which I especially remember. He was talking about an event he had been to, when he was younger, and it was something like this:

I was at this event, and the speaker said “the Christian life is not easy”, and I thought “amen, brother! This guy understands it!”

And then the speaker said “the Christian life is not hard”, and I thought “this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about!”

And then the speaker said “the Christian life is impossible”, and that’s when the light came on, and I realized that there were some things I didn’t understand.

I would put more, but I don’t remember a lot; just that he was good, and I enjoyed his talk.

0 comments: