Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Venezuela Pictures

Edited post

I’ve finally got my pictures of Venezuela edited, and put online. If you wish to see them, you can do so at this web site. There are a few different albums there, for different sections of pictures. (Along with the old pictures from Guyana and Barbados, of course.)

Be warned, before you go, that there are over 400 pictures there, so it might take you a while to go through them. Also, for some reason, when I upload photos to Yahoo Photos, they end up in a completely random order. (Unless I upload them one-by-one, which I just don’t have the time to do.) Also, because of the way they were uploaded, they’re in the wrong order. Not that I think it makes a difference, for the most part, but it bugs me, when I look at them online.

Unfortunately, the photos didn’t come out as well as I’d hoped. But I looked through them again tonight, and there are still a lot of good ones in there.

Since there were so many, I broke them down into separate albums. Here is a breakdown of the different albums, and what they contain:
  • Venezuela: This is the main album, and contains any of the pictures that aren’t in the other albums.
  • Tourist Trap: This is a village where every tourist to Venezuela has to go. My relatives kept calling it “the tourist trap”, so that’s what I kept calling it too. At any rate, whatever it’s called, we had a good time—as we did everywhere else.
  • Glass Factory: As the name implies, this was a famous glass factory, where we were able to go in and see them making things out of glass. (Actually, there were two that we went to; the last two pictures in this album are of the second factory.) I also got some videos of the glass being blown, but of course I can’t post those.
  • Parade Ground: This is where the Venezuelan army marches, on special days. I... don’t have anything really to say about it, other than that.
  • Coffee Plantation: This place was an old coffee plantation, and is now a museum. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get as many pictures as I would have liked, because we weren’t allowed to take pictures in most of the rooms. (And it was pretty dark in there anyway.) In fact, when we first got there, there was a group of school kids going through, and they let us just wander around, until they were ready for us—and the first couple of pictures in here I shouldn’t have taken. Whoops. I took them before I noticed the signs...
  • Mountain: This one’s exactly what it says. We took a trip in a jeep up onto a mountain. It wasn’t foggy that day, those are clouds that we’re driving through. I also got some great shots of Caracas from up there—or, what I thought were great shots of Caracas. Some of them didn’t come out as well as I’d hoped. And, just because it seemed like a good idea at the time, some pictures of some advertisements that interested me.
  • Park: These were some pictures of a park we went to. (I did a pretty good job of naming these albums, eh?) The inexplicable pictures of a bunch of people in front of a blue screen had nothing to do with the park, per se—they were just there filming for something at the same time we were there.
  • German Village: These are pictures of Colonia Tovar, the “German Village”. There’s an interesting story, behind this one. At one point, one of the previous dictators of Venezuela decided that he wanted more European blood going around Venezuela, so he brought in a group of German settlers. But when they got there, they decided that they wanted to stay separated from everyone else, and so they built their own little village. It was interesting to see the German architecture (and signs printed in German) in the middle of this Spanish-speaking country. (Source: Our tour guide for the day.)
  • University: These are pictures of the Universidad Simón Bolívar. Andrea’s cousin taught there. And, yes, there are indeed a lot of pictures of ducks. They were wandering around the grounds, and... well, I don’t know why I took so many pictures of them.
So there you have it. My Venezuela pictures.

For those of you who were on the trip with me, if there were any pictures you were expecting to be here that you can’t find, I apologize. A lot of pictures didn’t come out very good at all, so I deleted them.

0 comments: