Thursday, July 05, 2007

Versus

I have a very minor bone to pick with the way spell check works in Microsoft Outlook. It’s with the word “versus” which is normally abbreviated to “vs.” (that is, v-s-period). My problem is illustrated in the following screenshot:


As you can see, the text of my email is “This vs. that.” But when Outlook spell checks the text, it only looks at the “vs” and doesn’t look at the period; so it thinks that there is a typo, and suggests that you replace the word with “vs.” However, if you were to do so, you would end up with “This vs.. that.”

As I said, this is a very minor inconvenience. But it’s one that’s existed since Outlook 97 or so, and they’ve never solved it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just add the word "vs" to the dictionary? That way, if you type it as "vs" or as "vs.", you won't get a pop-up.

David Hunter said...

Oh yes, I could definitely do this. In fact, I usually do, any time I get a new computer. (Well, the first time I try to include “vs.” in an email. It’s not something I do right after I install the operating system or anything…)

I hesitate to say “it’s the principle of the thing” because that sounds too grandiose, but I guess it sort of is. In any event, the key words from this entire post are “very minor”. I think this is probably something Microsoft should have fixed a long time ago, but it’s not like it’s a huge problem, for me or anyone else.