Friday, July 27, 2007

Photos Redux

I don’t know why I’m so fond of the word “redux” in my blog post titles. Well, true, I’ve only used it twice; but I never used it at all before I started blogging. I’m only about 80% sure that I’m using it properly.

Anyway, I have good news on my Yahoo! Photos situation. I had been holding off on moving my photos to Flickr, because I was hoping that I would get an official email from Rogers, first, explaining the whole situation clearly. I got that email this morning, and the news is just what I’d been hoping for: Rogers Yahoo! customers will get Flickr Pro accounts, as part of their Rogers service. Just like Rogers worked out a deal so that their customers would get unlimited photos on Yahoo! Photos, they’ve worked out a similar deal that their customers would get Flickr Pro accounts.

I don’t actually know what the impact would have been, if I’d only gotten a “normal” Flickr account; what would I have lost? Would I be able to create links to old “albums” or “keywords” or whatever Flickr calls them, or would people only be able to see my newest photos? I was going to get around to looking up the difference between the two types of accounts, but never did. And now I don’t have to.

I don’t know when I’ll get around to moving the photos from the old service into the new service; probably some time when I have a bunch of spare time on my hands, so that I can navigate around Flickr, and get used to it. I already know, or at least am led to believe, that Flickr uses photo “sets” and “collections” instead of albums, like Yahoo! Photos used, so I’ll have to get used to that. I’m really hoping that I don’t have to go in and add each individual photo to a particular “set” or “collection”—I have almost 900 pictures uploaded, and it would take a long time to go back and tag/label them all. Even with tools that let you do bunches of pictures at once, it will take me a long time.

But I’ll get a lot in return, when I do move to Flickr:

  • I’ll be able to put my Flickr photos here on my blog—something I couldn’t do with Yahoo! Photos, and it always really annoyed me
  • I’ll be able to include “notes” on my pictures; I can put a message about a particular part of the picture, and if you hover your mouse over that section, you’ll see the message. (This is more cool than useful, I fully realize.)
  • I’ll be able to indicate where a picture was taken, geographically, so that people can find pictures on Flickr’s map service.
So I’m very excited about the move, overall. I just need to find time to do it…

0 comments: