Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Deployment—Let’s try that again, shall we?

I’m losing track of the days right now, so I don’t know if it’s been a day, or a couple of days, since I last posted. I’m sure it’s been less than a week. It’s Tuesday night—technically, Wednesday morning, but since I’m still up from Tuesday, it seems like Tuesday night to me.

I’m back at the office, as I type this, getting ready for another deployment. We figured out pretty quickly why the last one failed. A bit too quickly, actually, because it’s all the more shame that we had to abort it, and start over. So we’re pretty confident that this one will go much quicker than the last one. Maybe even back to our normal 30 minute “badda bing badda boom”-style deployment. Cross your fingers, or knock wood, or whatever you do if you’re superstitious. (Actually, don’t bother. By the time you read this, it will be long finished. Actually, by the time you read this, there may be another post further up the page, which already told you how the deployment went. If so, do you find it weird to read how the deployment went, and then to read this, where I’m wondering how it will go? Or are you just used to blogs by now, and not phased by it at all?)

I left work early Tuesday afternoon, around 3:00, so that I could go home and get some sleep. It didn’t work; I didn’t get any sleep. I did, however, watch a mediocre movie, called Fun With Dick and Jane. I’m not even bothering to link to the IMDB entry for the movie, because it didn’t inspire me, and I can’t be bothered. Let’s see, what else did I do? I was going to watch Constantine, which I had also recorded, but apparently The Movie Network played a different movie, when I was expecting Constantine, so I didn’t get to watch it. No great loss, because I wasn’t really too excited about it in the first place. In fact, I decided to not even bother looking for another occurrence of the movie, to try and tape it again.

Note: At this point in the creation of the blog, the deployment started.

As usual, I brought lots of snacks for the deployment. Coke BlaK, and some fudge (an impulse buy), some Twinkies, and of course some water, to keep myself hydrated. You’ll notice that I also have a novel sitting there, but I didn’t get a chance to read it; the exit I usually take from the 401 to the DVP was blocked off, and I had to do some driving around—and, of course, stop and buy my snacks—so I got to work a bit later than anticipated.

And that’s about it. I sort of have to start paying attention to the deployment, now, so I should stop typing.