Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Weekend

I haven’t blogged in a while, have I? Oh well. What can I say, I’ve been busy. So let’s make up for it with a long-ish post.

A friend of ours moved on the weekend. (Actually, she moved again; she first moved out of her old place, and into a temporary place, a couple of weeks ago, and then was moving into her new place this weekend.) She moved into a really nice place, downtown. So, as usual, when we where there I was missing living downtown. Happens every time.

Afterword, when we were sitting around and basking in the beauty of her new living room, the conversation somehow got around to cooking, and I mentioned that Andrea and I hadn’t bought take-out, nor cooked any frozen pizzas, since the year began. Just like I wrote in a previous blog entry. And then, just as I’d been anticipating the response would be, someone came back with “But it’s only been a month!” I’m practically clairvoyant!

Speaking of cooking, last week we tried our most ambitious recipe to date: Sole Florentine. Most of our recipes have been along the lines of “take all of the ingredients, mix them together in a pot, bring it to a boil, and then simmer for a while”. Some are slightly more complex, and require us to put in some of the ingredients, bring to a boil, and then add the rest of the ingredients. The most complex would require us to sauté some onions, before adding them to the mix. But Sole Florentine was a big process; “cook this, then cook that separately, then cook the other, then mix numbers one and two, then throw it in the oven for a while”. If we keep this up, our cooking skills will soar!

(We also made Cajun Chicken this week, with a fancy turnip side-dish. It was great; if I ever do start my recipe blog, I’ll be posting both recipes there.)

On an unrelated note, the Youth Group went to mini-golf on Friday. I was driving my pastor’s van, with a group of kids, and the one thing that I always fear might happen actually happened: we got into an accident. Any time I go out with the kids, I’m always worried that we might get in an accident. Luckily, it was very minor; we were stopped at a red light, and the guy behind us accidentally let his foot slip off the break at the wrong moment, and he nudged into us. It was extremely minor, with no injuries, and no damage to either vehicle. (Not even a scratch, from what I could see.) The strange thing is that I found out on Monday that another colleague also got rear-ended on Friday!

And, even less related than that, my Bible blog is right in the middle of the book of Leviticus right now, and I’d been thinking that, to get a clear picture of God, you really need to read the books of Leviticus and Hebrews back to back; Leviticus to get a picture of how Holy God really is, and then Hebrews to get the Old Testament laws put into a New Testament context. And, in fact, I did read the book of Hebrews on Saturday night. And then, in a weird coincidence, I was leading the service on Sunday morning, and the scripture reading was from Hebrews.

0 comments: