Friday, February 02, 2007

Recipes

This whole year Andrea and I have been cooking properly; making food, instead of just taking a box out of the freezer and throwing it in the microwave. (Or, in the case of a pizza, throwing it in the oven.)

Oh, I know what you’re thinking. “This whole year?!? serna, it’s only February! It’s not quite time to start celebrating yet…” Which is true. It’s not exactly record-breaking material. However, we’re not in the habit of cooking; since we’ve been married, we have a small set of standard meals that we prepare:

  • take-out (of course)
  • perogies
  • roast chicken
  • roast beef
  • frozen pizza
  • curry chicken (Andrea’s aunts taught me to make this, but I still haven’t quite mastered it)
  • beef stew (from a recipe my parents gave me)
There are probably some others, too, but they’re not springing to mind. And I probably shouldn’t say “we” either—since I’m the one who’s been doing all of the cooking, it’s my fault that my repertoire is so small.

But this year, mostly at Andrea’s prompting, we’ve been doing actual cooking. (Well, yes, some of the dishes above are “real cooking” too, but we didn’t make them that often.) Since the year began, we haven’t ordered take-out for dinner at all, nor heated up any frozen pizzas. And in that time we’ve found some really great recipes. For example, Andrea found a great recipe for Moroccan Bean and Potato Soup, and last night we made a really great Tex-Mex Chili. We also made an Avocado Soup which Andrea likes a lot more than I do, and Andrea found a great recipe for Apple and Date Bran Muffins. (And, not only are we cooking better, but Andrea’s getting involved, too.)

So I’ve been tempted to start a new blog, where I simply put up the good recipes we come across. The best part about it would be that we’re still not great cooks, so any of the recipes we put up would be, by definition, easy to make.

However, I haven’t started creating it yet, because it’s still a bit early to know if we’ll stick with our little cooking spree.

0 comments: