Monday, September 25, 2006

Constancy and Stability

I had previously written about change. However, there is also something to be said for constancy and stability. Some people don’t like change; they don’t trust it. Some people would prefer their lives to remain as they are. Sure, they may not be perfect, but the devil you know is better than the one you don’t, right?

Not that I have anything against change. I like it. Change makes me nervous, but nervous in a good way. Contemplating change often conjures up a bit of nervous apprehension, along with the positive visions and anticipation of what might be. When I wrote the change post, I was contemplating change, and since that time, the anticipation was growing and growing. I was starting to look forward to change, and all of the positive benefits it would bring.

But now I’m contemplating constancy and stability. That’s good, too. There are areas of the world that cry out for stability, but may never get it. Perhaps we should treasure stability when we have it. But… now that I’ve been anticipating change for so long, I’m not eager to give it up. I’m not a fan of “change for change’s sake”, personally, but on the other hand, when you’ve been looking forward to change for so long, the idea of sticking with constancy and stability isn’t all that thrilling. Tim Robbins said

Life isn’t stable. Stability is unnatural. The only stable society is the police state. You can have a free society or you can have a stable society. You can’t have both. Take your choice. As for me, I’ll choose a free, organic society over a rigid, artificial society any day.

I don’t know who Tim Robbins was—and, as usual, I’m too lazy to look the fact up—but it sounds like he wasn’t really in favour of stability. Then again, it also sounds like he was talking in the general sense, not in a personal sense. Most of the quotes I found on stability and constancy were also like that. (And none seemed to be in favour.)

P.S. I’m being a bit elliptic, but I fully realize that this post is probably fairly transparent. I’m sure you can all guess what’s going on. But I’ve decided not to spell it out, nor confirm or deny what I’m talking about if you ask me about it.

P.P.S. On the other hand, maybe it’s not transparent, and you’ll all start making wild and inaccurate guesses as to what I’m talking about. But I’m still not going to bother confirming or denying what I’m talking about.

6 comments:

David Hunter said...

Of course, the one thing that will always remain constant is the stream of technical glitches from Blogger. Like the glitch that occurred when I tried to post this, which for some reason caused it to be posted twice. And then wouldn’t let me delete the duplicate one, for a while.

But what are you going to do, right? “Death, taxes, and Blogger technical problems”, and all that.

Anonymous said...

Constancy... sweet constancy.

Anonymous said...

Tim Robbins voiced that guy in the Funzo episode of the Simpsons. Anything to do with the Simpsons must be believed in.

Time for predicitions:

10) Getting a real job... but not a haircut
9) Getting a divorce
8) Getting married, screw the divorce, they cost $300, plus Andrea is hawwwwt... *waves pennant that reads "Polygamy"*
7) New car, transport truck resitant
6) New house, movin' back to Blenheim. Or Chatham. Or Guyana. Or Don Mills.
5) Voting Conservative... just likes the colour blue
4) Switching religion, Satan looking very attractive these days
3) Switching to Pepsi, Swiss chalet pressure is just too much
2) Having a baby... AHAHAHAHAHAHA
1) Doing some work during the day instead of chatting with me

David Hunter said...

Different Tim Robbins. According to the quote site I took that quote from, the Tim Robbins being quoted was an American novelist, born in 1936.

Anonymous said...

Uh, Tom Robbins.

David Hunter said...

Aha! That explains it.