Thursday, July 07, 2005

my Blogger profile

Here's what I don't like about the profiles on Blogger:

I go to the Profile page, and, as usual, because I'm so anal about everything, I fill in every detail that I'm willing to be made public. And one of the things they ask is your birthdate. So I fill that out, assuming that when people see my profile, it will say my birthday, or my age, or something.

sernaferna
Age: 31


or

sernaferna
Birthday: May 7, 1974


You know, something along those lines.

So I look at my profile, and it does indeed show my age. But then it also shows my astrological sign, and my zodiac year. (It's Tiger, according to Blogger.)

So if anyone looks at my profile they're going to think that I purposely put all that crap in there, when I didn't. Especially if they don't blog with Blogger and know how all this works - or even if they do blog with Blogger, but just haven't filled out their birthday, in their profile, and seen what Blogger did with that information.

So, by trying to be as forthright as I can, and filling out as much of my profile as I could, I actually ended up misleading people about myself.

This is one of those rare situations where the word "irony" would actually be appropriate. And that, my friends, doesn't happen very often...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Freud believed that anal retentive behavior was a result of improper toilet training in the formative years...

David Hunter said...

Well... yes and no.

At any rate, I've never been a huge fan of Freud's.