Monday, March 28, 2005

Teaser

I'm bored, so I'm posting, but I don't have the energy to really post what I want to write about. So instead, here are the things I would have written about, if I had been more proactive:

  1. Maya Rudolph. Maya is a player on Saturday Night Live, and she is a brilliant actress. Unfortunately, you may never see her doing much other than SNL; she's great at playing characters in a sketch show, but it's hard to tell yet if she could do other things. But the way she loses herself in a part on SNL is amazing to watch. My wife and I have discussed this at length, and we're both impressed with her abilities. If I had more gumption, I could write a very long post about her, but I don't, so I won't.
  2. Luddism. Even though I'm a bona fide hacker, I have very luddist tendencies. (I don't know if "luddist" is really a word, but this is a blog, so I feel free to invent words as often as necessary.) If we didn't have technology, I personally think we'd be a lot happier. Hackers don't tend to believe that, as you may know, but I tend to think the Luddites really have some wisdom the rest of us don't have. I mean, does a car really run better if you put a computer chip in it? Or was it better before, when it was all mechanical, and anyone could fix it? (How many people do you know who have had a warning light come on, only to bring it to the dealer and find out that it's the warning light that's broken, not the thing it's supposed to be monitoring?)

Anyway, enough of this. Maybe the next time I post I'll either have something real to say, or have enough patience to write a real post.

0 comments: