Friday, January 06, 2006

I've got bad news, and I've got good news

First the bad news (because I always do the bad news first):

My Axim is having problems. It’s started freezing randomly on me. (For more information on what an “Axim” is, see my I’m such a nerd post.) It’s still under warranty, but I feel like a sap fighting Dell to send me a new one, because I’m on the verge of buying a new device, that will end up replacing it. (I finally settled on getting the SMT5600, instead of the RAZR. The RAZR is ultra sexy and all, but the more I think about it, the more the SmartPhone is sounding like what I want.)

But now the good news:

I called Dell tech support, and after a false start, I talked to a guy, told him the problems I was having, he listened to me, told me to hold for a minute, and then came back with a ticket #, and told me that the new one should be arriving Monday—or Tuesday at the latest. Great! I was expecting him to run me through the normal bull, make me reset the device, I’d tell him it’s still hanging, he’d make me do a hard reset (which erases all of the data), I’d do it, I’d tell him it’s still hanging, and then he’d decide to send me one. This was like a breath of fresh air! Get this: I told him that I’d done a hard reset, and it didn’t work, and he believed me! That does not happen when you talk to support people.

Of course, I still have the problem that I’ll be getting that new device, so soon I’ll have an Axim lying around that I’ll probably want to give away. But at least I’ll have a working unit to give away, instead of one that freezes every 30 seconds.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not want that computer. But my parents are looking for one.