I have mentioned—probably ad nauseum—that I haven’t yet settled on a good HTML editor for Ubuntu/Linux. I’ve now begun work on writing a plugin for Eclipse, for blog editing. I even found some tools from Google, that will let me post to my Blogger account(s) automatically, by code. I’m using Java, of course, so I downloaded a handy-dandy JAR file from Google, that simplifies the whole thing. In fact, submitting a post—once you have all of the text for it, of course—is just 9 lines of code.
If all goes according to plan, I’ll be creating the following for Eclipse:
- An HTML editor—based on existing HTML editors, I’m not writing anything from scratch—with edit and preview views
- A plugin for working with quotation marks, similar to what I did for HTML-Kit
- A generic plugin architecture, so that others can add their own blog-specific plugins
- Preferences, where you can set up Eclipse with all of the blogs you post to, and HTML templates for those blogs.
- The ability to automatically submit, with the click of a button. This would include things like:
- Fixing up quotes, using the smart quotes plugin
- Fixing up any newline issues, and—if necessary—removing