Friday, March 18, 2005

Why a blog?

Well, now that I've got the format of this thing pretty much the way that I want it, it's time to give some thought as to why I wanted to do it in the first place...

It started with my blog fascination. It continued when I started reading some other peoples' blogs regularly, and realized that you don't have to be brilliant to write one yourself.

The deal was sealed when my ISP changed the way they provide web space, and put it all on GeoCities. I am not putting a web site on GeoCities! Every racist, sexist, moron who can't get web space anywhere else goes to GeoCities. Even though my ISP promises me that there wouldn't be any popups or anything, I still can't go with a GeoCities website. Just the fact that the URL would say geocities in it is enough to make that a deal breaker for me. So, I figured it's time to try a blog, instead.

But the overarching reason that I'm creating this is that I'm a writer, and writers write. I haven't done much in the way of professional writing; it's not my actual career - more of a hobby. I'm currently working on a couple of projects, but neither one is grabbing my interest full time.

(Actually, one is in the editing phase, and I've got some comments back on it. But I hate the editing phase, so I'm putting it off. The other one I just can't figure out what to do with the plot right now, so I'm putting that off, too.)

So, if I'm going to continue as a writer, professional or otherwise, I need to write something. And thus the blog.

Of course, all that being said, I don't expect anything too special to happen here. It will probably happen like this: Any time I have nothing to do at work, I'll pull this thing up and write something useless, simply to occupy my time. I'm almost positive that I won't be posting here every day, and there will probably be long periods when nothing happens.

But only God knows for sure how this will all turn out. The nice part is that this thing is free, so even if I don't make a lot of use out of it, I haven't lost anything.

0 comments: