Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Two Movies

I went and saw the new Bond flick Quantum of Solace on Saturday night. It was great. I exchanged some text messages with James about it, and he only rated it a 5.1, but I give it a 7. (I assume he was rating it out of 10; that’s what I was rating it out of.) The theatre was packed. I went to the 6:30 showing, and got there at 6:00, thinking I was being so smart, and would be able to get a good seat. I walked into the theatre, with sixteen pounds of popcorn in my hands, to find that there were hardly any seats left. Luckily I was by myself, so I managed to find a seat. (And also luckily, it was near the back. I hate sitting at the very front—it hurts my neck after a while.)

Then, on Monday night, I went to see Burn After Reading. On Rotten Tomatoes the “Top Critics” only gave it 56%, whereas the general population gave it 75%. I can see why the critics rated it so low, but I can also see why the “regular folks” rated it so high; personally, I liked it. It was “quirky”. It took a long time to build, but once it started building, it just kept going and going. Started out very slow, and then got faster and faster with the pace. But this time, the experience in the theatre was the opposite: I was the only person in the theatre.

This seems to be a habit of mine, when it comes to George Clooney movies. The first movie I ever saw him in was Ocean’s 11, which I saw with Jeremy. If I remember correctly, the theatre was empty with the exception of him, myself, and one other woman. (Actually, “habit” is too strong a word, because it only happened the twice. I saw him in Michael Clayton, and the theatre was pretty full, and his other movies that I’ve seen—Syriana, Ocean’s 12, and Good Night, And Good Luck—I saw at home, on TMN or DVD. Oh, and I guess you could probably count South Park, since he did a voice in that; I saw that in a very full theatre. Also with Jeremy.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will never read it.

One thing I did find cool, when Bond called into to do the name check, he started spelling "Greene" and he spoke G-R-double-E", the computer put up the G, then the R, then a W (double-U) as though anticipating what was going to be entered. A very real touch avoiding what I like to call "the CSI-ification" of computer graphics in TV shows and movies, wherein the compuetr brings up exactly what is needed every time... and flashes the most important detail. Now if they would only throw in a service pack 2 update now and then.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will never read it.

One thing I did find cool, when Bond called into to do the name check, he started spelling "Greene" and he spoke G-R-double-E", the computer put up the G, then the R, then a W (double-U) as though anticipating what was going to be entered. A very real touch avoiding what I like to call "the CSI-ification" of computer graphics in TV shows and movies, wherein the compuetr brings up exactly what is needed every time... and flashes the most important detail. Now if they would only throw in a service pack 2 update now and then.

Anonymous said...

Hi Serna!

You're right we should meet in Woodstock or something for coffee...