Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Saying nothing in many words

I worked from home again today. I needed to bring the car in—mostly to get its snow tires put on, but it was also overdue for service—and it’s not normally worth it to try and go in just for the later part of the afternoon, when that happens. In this case I could have; the car ended up being ready by 11:30, which surprised me, but I’d already told people I’d be working from home, so I just stayed. And, as is often the case, there wasn’t anything I did today that I had to be at the office for.

So, as usual, when working from home, I watched a couple of movies. First, I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which was okay, but not great. But not bad. Just average. And then I watched Hot Shots! Part Deux, which I have on DVD. I’ve always loved the Hot Shots! movies. I wish Andrea did, too, so I could watch them more often…

I’ll be on training, for the remainder of the week, which means that it’s going to be a light week for serna. (Of course, that assumes that the training won’t be too hard, and I’m hoping that’s a bad assumption. I’d prefer the training to be hard, so that I can get something out of it, but training usually isn’t.) The training is on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), and I really hope that it’s useful, and doesn’t just reinforce all of the common sense things I’ve been thinking about SOA since the term was introduced to me. (I don’t have a good link to an SOA article on hand, so I’ll just post the link to the Wikipedia article, if you’re interested in what it is.)

I upgraded Ubuntu on my laptop, from version 6.06 (“Dapper Drake”) to 6.10 (“Edgy Eft”) on Saturday. Fortunately, there was an easy upgrade process; all you have to do is type in gksu "update-manager -c" from a command prompt. Unfortunately, the upgrade didn’t work; when it made me reboot, it refused to load. (Well, Linux seemed to boot fine; it was just the X server that wouldn’t load.) So I burned the Ubuntu CD, and reinstalled from that, and everything was fine. Except that my wireless network card doesn’t work anymore; I was so impressed, when I first installed Ubuntu, that it recognized that card, and now it doesn’t work. (I’m sure I’ll get it to work, I just haven’t put any time into it yet.)

And that’s about it. I’m sure I won’t be posting to my blog for the next few days, because I doubt they’ll have internet connectivity in the training, so you’ll just have to entertain yourselves for a few days. Actually, you’ve been entertaining yourselves for a while, because I haven’t been posting much here, lately. So you’ve got some good practice.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until Ubuntu version 6.12 "Fuckity Fuck".